Associate researcher, Sri Lanka News Desk
Department: Global Press Journal (GPJ)
Location: Colombo District, Sri Lanka
Compensation: 150-300 USD/month depending on experience
Deadline to receive applications: December 20, 2019
Start date: January 15, 2020
Global Press is looking for an experienced researcher with strong language skills in Sinhala, Tamil and English to join the Global Press Accuracy Network (GPAN) as a Researcher supporting the Sri Lanka News Desk.
At Global Press, we believe that local research, sources, data, and nuanced analysis are key ingredients to building a more just and informed world. The Sri Lanka based researcher will work directly with the Sri Lanka News Desk and the Editorial team (based in Washington D.C.) to ensure every story is supported with local research.
• Support the reporters at the Sri Lanka News Desk by identifying and translating research studies, laws, statistics and various other sources of data and research available in English and Sinhala. The researcher will support a team of Tamil speaking reporters on elements of verification for their news articles.
• Contact individuals and organizations in Sri Lanka to obtain information available in Sinhala and English only, through phone calls and in-person visits as requested by reporters and editors.
• Work with the GPJ Researcher to compile a database of general research and statistics only available in Sinhala and English. Translate key sections into Tamil.
• Work with the Sri Lanka translation team to regularly update a Glossary of GPJ Translation Terms into Tamil.
• Work with the GPJ Researcher, Fact Checkers and Tamil speaking reporters to assist in verifying information available in Sinhala and English only. This will involve verifying information with published sources and human sources and following guidelines provided by Global Press Journal.
• Have exceptional skills in reading, writing and speaking Sinhala, Tamil and English at an intermediate level.
• Have a strong research background with at least 5 years of experience in academia, news, or other established organizations.
• Be based in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
• Have a portfolio of research contributions to research papers, news articles, journals, and/or other published materials.
• Have the ability to collaborate with team members across the world with empathy and a shared commitment to excellence.
• Have respect for Global Press reporters, editors, ethics and processes.
• Have the desire to ensure Global Press continues to produce world-class journalism.
• Ensure all research is kept confidential and is handled securely and sensitively with editorial team guidance.
• Have discipline, rigor and attention to detail in your work.
• Have openness to change and the ability to manage complexities.
• Have a positive and solutions-oriented outlook.
Journalism experience is not required, but preferred. Experience working with organizations in the Northern Province is also preferred.
Global Press is an innovative and ethical media company that has been growing at a steady and sustainable pace for the last 13 years. We seek out diverse team members who are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
Write a brief cover letter in the body of an email that explains why you are the right person for this job. Attach your CV and 2 examples of your research contributions to published work i.e. (articles, research papers, websites).
All emails should be sent to [email protected] with the subject Associate Researcher, Sri Lanka Desk. We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Photo at the top by Vijayatharsiny Vijayakumar, GPJ Sri Lanka