*Applications for this job are now closed.
Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: Base salary: $55,000 -$70,000 DOE. Benefits include health, vision, dental, matching 401k.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Start date: February 2019
First, a few questions:
Are you ready to reimagine journalism in the world’s least-covered markets? Are you ready to be part of an editorial process that works to ensure precision and dignity in every story?
Are you a creative, independent critical thinker who wants to support reporters around the globe to produce world-class journalism?
Then apply to be the Global Press Journal Copy Editor.
We are looking for an innovative, energetic copy editor who will work with Global Press Journal reporters in more than 40 independent news bureaus to create world-class international journalism every day.
You will report to newsroom leadership, which is also based in D.C., and work closely with associate editors, the Global Press Accuracy Network and Global Press Journal reporters to cover some of the world’s least-covered communities and issues.
You should be practiced in traditional editorial processes and have experience in a newsroom and be keen to learn Global Press Style and values. You should be excited by a non-assignment policy that puts the reporter’s community at the center of every story. Global Press Journal copy editors are wordsmiths who ensure that only the highest quality, well-researched and accurate news stories are published. It’s important that you are comfortable working across cultures and have a truly global perspective.
As a Global Press Journal team member, you will practice traditional journalism, but get to the published piece differently.
Our process redefines the expert and challenges legacy media’s definitions of news value. We operate a one-of-a-kind editorial structure designed to support the unique aspects of Global Press journalism, including a diversity of reporters (99 percent people of color and 100 percent women), languages, time zones and cultural context to continue to elevate the quantity and quality of our journalistic output.
Interested? Continue scrolling to learn more.
• Engage deeply with content published before it is published by Global Press Journal, ensuring world-class quality with a copy editing focus on word choice, grammar, syntax and style.
• Provide overall quality control for copy editing tasks across Global Press Journal.
• Assist the News Director to develop and implement headline strategies for each of Global Press Journal’s platforms.
• Experiment with headline and kicker types and structures, working closely with the Engagement team to ensure that those story elements effectively draw readers both in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world.
• Manage a team of contract copy editors, including training, assignments and performing quality control.
• Engage with linguistic team to ensure that the copy editing process for translated content is streamlined, dignified and accurate.
• Set and meet deadlines for copy editing work to ensure production goals are met.
• Use the internal Global Press CMS to manage copy editing assignments.
• Engage deeply with the Global Press Style Guide committee, attending regular meetings and contributing to the guide’s ongoing development.
• Enthusiastically pursue professional development opportunities, growing your skills to meet Global Press Journal’s needs and cultivating a personal area of expertise.
• Collaborate with the Engagement and Visuals teams to ensure that content across all platforms is clear, accurate and well-written.
• Provide or manage copy editing as needed for the full Global Press brand, including Global Press Institute and other divisions.
• Be an engaged, confident and collaborative contributor of fresh ideas.
• Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism.
• The ambition to make every story exceptional.
• A strong copy editing background, including newsroom experience, with deep expertise in grammar, syntax and AP Style.
• A proven ability to write creative headlines that both preserve the dignity of sources within stories and promote quality news content.
• The ability to collaborate with team members across the world with empathy and a shared commitment to excellence.
• Ideas and energy to ensure Global Press Journal aggressively grows its brand footprint and global editorial impact.
• The ability to work on multiple projects at a time and with multiple people around the world each day.
• Respect for Global Press reporters.
• The desire to ensure Global Press continues producing world-class journalism.
The other important stuff:
The successful candidate will have a minimum of three years of copy editing experience, including experience with copy editing multimedia and social media, ideally in a newsroom setting. Candidates must have a firm grasp of grammar, style and writing clarity.
Global Press is a diverse and rapidly growing international media organization that seeks team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work.
• Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value.
• Believe in the power of local journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-quality stories.
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better than they were yesterday.
APPLY if at least 80 percent of this description sounds like you!
Please take the time to read some stories on Global Press Journal. Like what you see?
Write a brief cover letter in the body of an email introducing yourself, a little about why you want to join the Global Press team and why this role resonates with you. Include the names (including email address, phone number and a detail on how you know each person) for at least two references who can speak knowledgeably about the quality of your work. Attach your CV. All emails should be sent to [email protected] with the subject Copy Editor. We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries.
Over the last 12 years, Global Press news stories have created tangible social impact across the world. Our news has changed laws in Nepal and Rwanda, changed policies in Zambia and Uganda and increased access to information for more than 20 million people each month. The organization has won numerous awards for its high-quality journalism and its high-impact business model. Global Press has won more than two dozen awards in its history, including the 2017 Creator Award, 2016 Webby Award, Best Writing, and 2016 Best Mobile News Website. Other honors include the Jefferson Award for Public Service, Society of Professional Journalists’ Journalism Innovation Prize and the Ida B. Wells Award for Bravery in Journalism.
Photo at top by Yam Kumari Kandel, Global Press Journal Nepal