Human Migration Editor
Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: Base salary: $60,000 -$75,000 DOE. Benefits include health, vision, dental, matching 401k.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Start date: February 2019
First, a few questions:
Are you ready to reimagine journalism in the world’s least-covered markets? Do you want to be part of an editorial process that works to ensure precision and dignity in every story?
Are you a creative, independent critical thinker who wants to support reporters around the globe to produce world-class journalism?
Then apply to be the Global Press Journal Human Migration Editor.
We are looking for an innovative, energetic editor who will work with Global Press Journal reporters in more than 40 independent news desks to create world-class international journalism every day.
You will report to newsroom leadership, which is also based in D.C., work closely with associate editors, the Global Press Accuracy Network and Global Press Journal reporters to cover some of the least-covered communities and issues.
You should be practiced in traditional editorial processes and have experience in a newsroom or topically relevant organization. You should be keen to learn Global Press Style and values and excited by a non-assignment policy that puts the reporter’s community at the center of every story. Global Press Journal editors are coaches and wordsmiths who ensure that only the highest quality, well-researched and accurate news stories are published. It’s important that you are comfortable working across cultures and have a truly global perspective.
As a Global Press Journal team member, you will practice traditional journalism, but get to the published piece differently.
Our process redefines the expert and challenges legacy media’s definitions of news value. We operate a one-of-a-kind editorial structure designed to support the unique aspects of Global Press journalism, including a diversity of reporters (99 percent people of color and 100 percent women), languages, time zones and cultural context to continue to elevate the quantity and quality of our journalistic output.
Interested? Continue scrolling to learn more about what it will take.
• Produce an array of stories focused on human migration in all its aspects, working closely with our talented team of reporters across the globe and supported by a network of fact checkers, copy editors, producers and translators.
• Work closely with the News Director to identify story concepts, themes and overall coverage tone and scope.
• Coach reporters to find stories, hone angles, dig into documents and research to create extraordinary narratives about human movement across the globe.
• Actively pursue innovative technology to track movement as it happens and present real-time data to Global Press Journal readers.
• Focus on overall story concepts, while excelling at high-level line editing.
• Identify and edit high-value news stories pitched in languages other than English and in narrative styles that reflect Global Press Journal’s coverage areas
• Work with interpreters and translators to communicate with reporters while effectively and accurately editing their stories.
• Collaborate with the Engagement and Visuals teams to ensure that stories reach high-impact audiences across the globe.
• Be an engaged, confident and collaborative contributor of fresh ideas.
• Enthusiastically pursue professional development opportunities, growing your skills to meet Global Press Journal’s needs and cultivating areas of personal expertise.
• Coach developing story pitches in regularly-scheduled office hours.
• Reinforce holistic storytelling priorities that offer readers accurate and complete coverage.
• Use the internal Global Press CMS to manage and engage teams to ensure timely, high-quality production.
• Set and meet deadlines and ensure production goals are met.
• Engage in the Global Press Duty of Care program, ensuring that standards are met for each employee’s physical, digital, legal and emotional safety and care.
• Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism.
• The ambition to make every story exceptional.
• Deep knowledge or expertise in the topic of international human migration.
• A strong writing background with deep expertise in grammar, syntax and AP Style.
• The curiosity to experiment with story formats and content types to maximize story impact.
• The ability to collaborate with team members across the world with empathy and a shared commitment to excellence.
• Ideas and energy to ensure Global Press Journal aggressively grows its brand footprint and global editorial impact.
• The ability to work on multiple projects at a time and with multiple people around the world each day.
• Respect for Global Press reporters and their unique contribution to international journalism.
• The desire to ensure Global Press continues producing world-class journalism.
The other important stuff:
The successful candidate will have a minimum of three years of experience, whether in a newsroom or in a role in which you developed expertise in this topic. Candidates must have a firm grasp of grammar, style and writing clarity. Previous international experience and language skills will be prioritized.
Global Press is a diverse and rapidly growing international media organization that seeks out team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work.
• Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value.
• Believe in the power of local journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-quality stories.
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better than they were yesterday.
APPLY if at least 80 percent of this description sounds like you!
Before applying, please take the time to read some stories on Global Press Journal. Like what you see?
Write a brief cover letter in the body of an email introducing yourself, a little about why you want to join the Global Press team and why this role resonates with you. Include the names (including email address, phone number and a detail on how you know each person) for at least two references who can speak knowledgeably about the quality of your work. Attach your CV. All emails should be sent to [email protected] with the subject Human Migration Editor. We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries.
Over the last 12 years, Global Press news stories have created tangible social impact across the world. Our news has changed laws in Nepal and Rwanda, changed policies in Zambia and Uganda and increased access to information for more than 20 million people each month. The organization has won numerous awards for its high-quality journalism and its high-impact business model. Global Press has won more than two dozen awards in its history, including the 2017 Creator Award, 2016 Webby Award, Best Writing, and 2016 Best Mobile News Website. Other honors include the Jefferson Award for Public Service, Society of Professional Journalists’ Journalism Innovation Prize and the Ida B. Wells Award for Bravery in Journalism.
Photo at top by Raihana Maqbool, GPJ Indian-administered Kashmir