Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: $120,000 base, plus differentials, plus full suite of Global Press benefits
Deadline to receive applications: November 15, 2019
Start date: January 13, 2020
Global Press Journal, the award-winning publication of Global Press, is looking for a News Director to take our news gathering, production and audience strategies to the next level. The News Director and Creative Director co-lead the global newsroom based in D.C. and oversee reporters in our more than two dozen independent news bureaus around the world. Global Press has a 13-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe.
How it works:
Description of Duties
Global Team Management (40%)
The News Director is a leader and a coach who has exceptional management and intercultural communication skills.
• Manage a D.C.-based staff of editors (5+) to ensure the team is well-organized, process-oriented and adequately supporting reporting teams based around the world
• Support D.C.-based staff in setting and achieving annual Key Performance Indicators
• Set standards and strategies in line with the organization’s Objectives and Key Results and current three-year strategic plan
• Co-manage the global team of GPJ reporters to ensure they are producing high-quality journalism, meeting requirements and actively engaging in team meetings
• Manage a growing team of remote specialty contract editors by assigning and reviewing stories for quality
• Ensure all team members are appropriately and consistently implementing Duty of Care protocols to ensure all reporters are safe and healthy
• Recruit, test and manage members of the Global Press Accuracy Network, including fact checkers, copy editors and translators
• Manage and oversee the partnership with NASA, in line with the Global Press partnership for the Earth storytelling priority
• Ensure all team members achieve professional development goals
• Lead by example to promote innovation and collaboration in the newsroom
News Production (40%)
The News Director is the final arbiter of quality for everything published on Global Press Journal.
• Complete the final review of all English-language stories prior to publication to ensure each story adheres to GPJ’s well-honed standards of dignity and precision
• Lead daily news meetings to review pitches from reporters, ensuring they adhere to GPJ’s long-term coverage strategy and narrative change ambitions
• Manage global projects according to Global Press Journal’s six long-term storytelling priorities (Autonomy, Migration, Earth, Power, Transparency and Innovation), 12 per year
• Edit high-value stories and projects, approximately 4 per month
• Coach editors to ensure they are producing world-class stories and pushing boundaries of innovative storytelling
• Chair the Global Press Style Guide committee
• Collaborate with the Creative team to ensure written stories are paired with exceptional visuals, engaging social media strategies and immersive web design
• Co-design the news production schedule and strategy to best meet the needs of Global Press Journal readers around the world
• Design monthly news projects, to supplement and enhance daily news production
• Collaborate with the Creative Director to launch a newly designed version of Global Press Journal, featuring the “global grid” reader journey, to launch by Q2 2020
• Support M&E efforts to understand the impact of Global Press Journal in our coverage countries
• Collaborate with the Global Press News Services team to ensure syndication partners have timely access to stories and assets
• Represent the Global Press brand at conferences and industry events by advocating for our values and standards
The News Director must be both a seasoned journalist and an exceptional manager.
• Have 10+ years of journalistic editing experience
• Have powerful journalistic writing skills, including mastery of grammar and AP Style
• Demonstrated management skills for a team of 10+ people
• Outstanding communication and leadership skills
Candidates with previous international experience in a Global Press region will be prioritized.
Wondering if you are a good fit for our team?
• value journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation?
• strive for dignity and precision in every story?
• employ discipline, generosity and humor in your daily work?
• believe in the power of local journalists to shift global narratives?
• thrive in a collaborative environment where everyone aims to be better today than they were yesterday?
Ready to apply?
Submit a cover letter that describes how your values align with ours and why you’re at the right point in your career to excel in this opportunity. Include a paragraph in your cover letter that discusses three recent Global Press Journal stories. Analyze the stories contribution to the larger regional or topical media narrative and describe how you would uniquely elevate future coverage. Send an email to [email protected] with the subject line News Director.
We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To learn more about Global Press, visit GlobalPress.co and read our 2018 Annual Report here.
Photo at the top by Mayela Sánchez, GPJ Mexico