Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: Base salary: $55,000 -$70,000 DOE. Benefits include health, vision, dental, matching 401k.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
Start date: February 2019
First, a few questions:
Are you ready to reimagine journalism in the world’s least-covered markets? Are you ready to be part of an editorial process that works to ensure precision and dignity in every story?
Are you a creative, independent critical thinker who wants to support reporters around the globe to produce world-class journalism?
Then apply to be the Global Press Journal Platforms Producer.
We are looking for a self-driven, social media strategist who will work with Global Press Journal reporters in more than 40 independent news bureaus to create world-class international journalism every day.
You will report to newsroom leadership, which is also based in D.C., and work closely with associate editors, the Global Press Accuracy Network and Global Press Journal reporters to cover some of the least-covered communities and issues.
You should understand the news values of Global Press Journal, but also speak up, take initiative, inform our team and grow our audience across all platforms. It’s important that you are in the middle of all the action, from daily news meetings to partnership strategy, and have the interpersonal skills to work with people across the organization.
As a Global Press Journal team member, you will practice traditional journalism, but get to the published piece differently.
Our process redefines the expert and challenges legacy media’s definitions of news value. We operate a one-of-a-kind editorial structure designed to support the unique aspects of Global Press journalism, including a diversity of reporters (99 percent people of color and 100 percent women), languages, time zones and cultural context to continue to elevate the quantity and quality of our journalistic output.
Interested? Continue scrolling to learn more.
• Imagine and develop new storytelling opportunities by participating in the entire storytelling process, from pitch to publication.
• Collaborate with reporters and editors to design and produce multimedia assets to maximize story engagement across platforms.
• Plan and execute social media strategy based on audience insights.
• Produce social-only content, including videos and Instagram stories, to amplify reach and engagement for all content assets on Global Press Journal.
• Produce a weekly newsletter designed to further engage loyal audiences and take them behind-the-scenes to better understand our work.
• Optimize headlines, teasers, and visual elements of stories as appropriate to maximize audience engagement on all platforms.
• Take the initiative to ensure that platform content is prioritized.
• Advocate for high-quality content assets across all platforms with team members.
• Develop a consistent, aligned voice and tone on all Global Press platforms.
• Ensure that there is a strategic outlook across all Global Press platforms to optimize their value.
• Collaborate with the entire newsroom to ensure that stories are reaching high-impact audiences across the globe.
• Update and educate the newsroom on our audience and understand how it comes to us and what it responds to.
• Remain curious, continually innovating on existing platforms and experimenting with emerging platforms in local and global markets.
• Support all Global Press Journal team members to develop audience-focused partnerships that are both local and global.
• Develop a process and criteria for reader response and engagement.
• Participate in organizational strategy meetings and initiatives to boost overall brand awareness for Global Press.
• Work hard, laugh hard, and make a significant contribution to international journalism.
• Experience developing and producing stories across platforms, including on social media, newsletters and websites.
• Expertise in the full adobe creative suite.
• Experience with video editing, audio and familiarity with basic CSS and HTML.
• Expertise in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram with a working knowledge of social trends around the world and how Global Press can leverage them.
• The ability to look at any story and determine the best way to present it across platforms.
• A love of experimentation and the ability to learn from your failures.
• An eye for details. Copy editing experience would be a plus.
• Creativity! The job will require unique thinking about how to engage audiences with unique news from global markets they might not be familiar with.
• Wild ideas and the ability to execute on them for long-term implementation.
• An existing professional social media presence that demonstrates your social values and professionalism.
• The ability to listen with empathy and respond to the Global Press audience with a deep sense of their needs.
• The ability to work on multiple projects at a time, with multiple people around the world.
• A proven track record for cultivating a quality audience on multiple platforms.
• Respect for Global Press reporters and the desire to ensure Global Press platforms maximize audiences for their world-class journalism.
The other important stuff:
The successful candidate will have three to five years of newsroom experience and expertise in using multiple platforms. Candidates with previous international experience and language skills will be prioritized.
Global Press is a diverse and rapidly growing international media organization that seeks out team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work.
• Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value.
• Believe in the power of local journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-quality stories.
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better than they were yesterday.
APPLY if at least 80 percent of this description sounds like you!
Write a brief cover letter in the body of an email introducing yourself, a little about why you want to join the Global Press team and why this role resonates with you. Attach your CV. All emails should be sent to [email protected] with the subject Platforms Producer. We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries.
Over the last 12 years, Global Press news stories have created tangible social impact across the world. Our news has changed laws in Nepal and Rwanda, changed policies in Zambia and Uganda and increased access to information for more than 20 million people each month. The organization has won numerous awards for its high-quality journalism and its high-impact business model. Global Press has won more than two dozen awards in its history, including the 2017 Creator Award, 2016 Webby Award, Best Writing, and 2016 Best Mobile News Website. Other honors include the Jefferson Award for Public Service, Society of Professional Journalists’ Journalism Innovation Prize and the Ida B. Wells Award for Bravery in Journalism.
Photo at top by Mayela Sanchez, Global Press Journal Mexico