Program Associate: Global Expansion
Department: Global Press Institute
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: Base salary $50,000 health, vision, dental, matching 401k
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Start date: February 2019
First, a few questions:
Are you ready to join an organization that is reimagining journalism in the world’s least-covered markets? Are you ready to be part of a team that values dignity, diversity, transparency, and excellence in international journalism?
Are you a detail-oriented self-starter who wants to implement systems that contribute to world-class journalism?
Then apply to be the Global Press Institute Programs Associate.
We are looking for an organized, curious, proactive associate who will support all global expansion efforts at Global Press.
You will report to the Chief Operating Officer, who is also based in D.C., and also work closely with the CEO and regional managers to support the design and implementation of the Global Expansion Program.
You should be capable of managing several projects at a time and ready to pay the utmost attention to detail. It’s important that you are comfortable working across cultures and have a truly global perspective.
As a Global Press team member, you must have an interest in journalism and building informed communities. Our process redefines the expert and challenges legacy media’s definitions of news value. We operate a one-of-a-kind editorial structure designed to support the unique aspects of Global Press journalism, including a diversity of reporters (99 percent people of color and 100 percent women), languages, time zones and cultural context to continue to elevate the quantity and quality of our journalistic output.
Interested? Continue scrolling to learn more.
• Develop detailed country reports that support the initial stages of country prospecting for the launch of news bureaus.
• Design and develop country launch timelines and project management tools.
• Collaborate with the COO to design a new system for country prospecting and research.
• Identify and research local launch partners in prospective countries.
• Identify and research local support partners in prospective countries (i.e. legal support, journalism associations, relevant non-profits) that align with Global Press values.
• Support Regional Managers to develop reporter recruitment systems and tools.
• Collaborate with Regional Managers to implement a train-the-trainer model to ensure regional training expertise across the world.
• Collaborate with the COO on training and curriculum design.
• Identify and address expansion challenges in prospective countries and research solutions for those challenges.
• Implement and maintain a recruitment tracker.
• Implement and maintain a trainee performance tracker.
• Work with COO on global payments and performance.
• Collaborate with COO and CEO to implement Duty of Care programs.
• Identify local conferences and speaking engagements for Global Press staff to build a regional profile for Global Press.
• Work with COO on M&E of Global Press expansion according to the strategic plan.
• Work with COO and Curriculum Designer to support implementation of advanced and intermediate training opportunities for reporters.
• Develop and design local launch materials in collaboration with Regional Managers.
• Collaborate with Platforms Editor to ensure all launch information is appropriately and clearly communicated and distributed on social channels.
• Ensure that content on the Global Press Institute website reflects expansion plans appropriately.
• Intake and track all new reporter applications.
• Support all Global Expansion logistics and operations as required.
• Be an engaged, confident and collaborative contributor of creative ideas and solutions.
• Enthusiastically pursue professional development opportunities, growing your skills to meet the organization’s needs.
• Engage in the Global Press Duty of Care program, ensuring that standards are met for each employee’s physical, digital, legal and emotional safety and care.
• Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism.
• A strong writing and research background.
• Maturity and professionalism particularly while handling sensitive and confidential information.
• Discipline, rigor and attention to detail in your work.
• Experience using Microsoft Excel and other data management tools at an advanced level.
• Experience developing clear, concise, and engaging presentation of research.
• The curiosity to investigate and discover least-covered media markets.
• Experience contributing to the formulation of project work plans, assisting in their implementation and monitoring their development.
• A desire to search for and apply knowledge, information and best practices inside and outside of Global Press.
• The ability to collaborate with team members across the world with empathy and a shared commitment to excellence.
• The ability to work on multiple projects at a time and with multiple people around the world.
• The desire to implement structure and frameworks to existing projects to help them run more efficiently.
• Openness to change and the ability to manage complexities.
• A positive and solutions-oriented outlook.
• The desire to ensure Global Press continues producing world-class journalism.
The other important stuff:
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and minimum of 2 years of programs experience or a graduate degree. Candidates must have a firm grasp of grammar and strong writing skills. Previous international experience and language skills will be prioritized.
Global Press is a diverse and rapidly growing international media organization that seeks out team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work.
• Are willing to challenge the 24-hour news cycle and stereotypical definitions of international news value.
• Believe in the power of local journalists to write and report undiscovered, high-quality stories.
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and always aim to be better than they were yesterday.
APPLY if at least 80 percent of this description sounds like you!
Write a brief cover letter in the body of an email introducing yourself, a little about why you want to join the Global Press team and why this role resonates with you. Include the names (including email address, phone number and a detail on how you know each person) for at least two references who can speak knowledgeably about the quality of your work. Attach your CV. All emails should be sent to [email protected] with the subject Programs Associate. We will acknowledge receipt, but only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline to receive applications: Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on perpetual short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of female journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage. Our stories, produced and disseminated in local language and English, provide local and global audiences with news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries.
Over the last 12 years, Global Press news stories have created tangible social impact across the world. Our news has changed laws in Nepal and Rwanda, changed policies in Zambia and Uganda and increased access to information for more than 20 million people each month. The organization has won numerous awards for its high-quality journalism and its high-impact business model. Global Press has won more than two dozen awards in its history, including the 2017 Creator Award, 2016 Webby Award, Best Writing, and 2016 Best Mobile News Website. Other honors include the Jefferson Award for Public Service, Society of Professional Journalists’ Journalism Innovation Prize and the Ida B. Wells Award for Bravery in Journalism.
Photo at top by Kalpana Khanal, Global Press Journal Nepal