CURRENT OPENINGS, HQ
Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Compensation: Base salary: $70,000 – 85,000 DOE, health, vision, dental, matching 401k
Deadline to receive applications: February 28, 2019
Start date: March 2019
Are you ready to take on a lead role in an innovative, ethical newsroom that is reimagining journalism in the world’s least-covered markets?
Are you a creative, critical thinker who has the discipline to inject dignity and precision into every story?
Then apply to be the Global Press Journal Story Editor.
We are looking for a collaborative, energetic, story-driven editor who will work with Global Press Journal reporters in more than 40 independent news bureaus, from Democratic Republic of Congo to Mongolia, to create world-class international journalism every day.
As the Story Editor you will:
• Coach reporters to find stories, hone angles, dig into documents and research to create extraordinary narratives about their communities across the globe
• Strengthen overall story concepts through high-level line editing
• Coach reporters to write story pitches, often in languages other than English with the support of our translator network, to ensure that all stories reflect Global Press Journal values and coverage priorities
• Support the News Director by assisting in the development of global editorial strategy
• Collaborate with the Creative Team to ensure that stories include dignified visual elements
• Be an engaged, confident and collaborative contributor of fresh ideas
• Enthusiastically pursue professional development opportunities
• Reinforce holistic storytelling priorities that offer accurate and complete coverage to local and global audiences
• Collaborate with newsroom leadership to produce special projects and global series on key topics
• Engage in the Global Press Duty of Care program, ensuring that standards are met for each employee’s physical, digital, legal and emotional safety and care
The other important stuff:
You should be a story sculptor and a word smith with deep expertise in grammar, syntax, AP Style and a keen interest in learning Global Press Style. You should be a generous coach with experience working with reporters at beginning, intermediate and advanced levels. It’s important that you are comfortable working across cultures and can embrace our unique definition of news value.
Our ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience in a traditional newsroom, but is ready to apply that knowledge in an environment that values innovation and precision. Candidate with previous international experience and language skills will be prioritized. International candidates are welcome to apply.
Global Press is an innovative and ethical media company that has been growing at a steady and sustainable pace for the last 13 years. We seek out diverse team members who are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation.
Write a brief cover letter in the body of an email that explains why you are the right person for this job. Attach your CV. All emails should be sent to [email protected] with the subject Story Editor. We will acknowledge receipt, but only select candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Want to learn more about our 13-year history of growth and success? Click here to check out our 2018 Annual Report.
Photo at top by Sahana David Menon, Global Press Journal Sri Lanka